Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Like a Child


I have a monkey head pillow, I think you could call it a pillow, sitting here waiting to be delivered to our oldest grandson. He is really excited to get it. I had made two of his younger brothers each one out of camoflage fleece. This one is out of red plaid. I wasn't sure if someone ten years old would want one or not. That is the only reason he didn't get one. Last time the family was out to visit Malcolm asked me about getting one. Well it just so happened I had made a small pillow out of red plaid fleece so with a stitch here and a stitch there and a stuffed blue face we now have a lumber jack monkey(pillow?)Fun! I would have liked them when I was ten but these days it hard to say with children being pressured by ads etc to have designer clothes and the latest in toys~~homemade toys just seem to be not too cool. Well I am happy to say I was wrong~~the children still like homemade toys and who knows maybe even homemade clothes!
I am working on the "homemade" quilt for a cousin to the above mentioned grandson. This little one is turning seven! Wow! I can hardly believe the time has flown by so fast. I think back to when he was born and how cold it got and the family all got the flu. My daughter-in-law's mother came out after awhile and helped out. Now he is in school. He likes teddy bears and pillows and trucks and cars so I am sure he will like the quilt.
I hope no o
ne reading this gets the idea that the grandchildren don't like store bought toys or clothes. Believe me they love their wii games and remote control vehicles and the dollies and buggies to go with them. They even love books. So far all of the grandchildren love books. Now that is just too cool.
I guess with the quilt making being my biggest thought at the moment this is turning out to be a brag on our grandchildren.
They all se
em to love to shoot targets and going hunting if the opportunity arises. Of course if they are of the age to go. Kind of hard for the babies to pack a rifle. LOL! All of them just have a lot of interests in the world about them.
It is comforting to know that they like to go to church. Like to learn of the bible and things of God.
I could go on and on and tell you about the cooking and baking
some of them do at such tender ages. I could tell you how good of riders some of them are and how well they can handle a horse. Or tell you about their lively imaginations. The forts, the bows and arrows , the games they play ( and some games they try to teach me) They love puppets too. Which I have to finish up as I did not get them all finished for Christmas and didn't want to give puppets to some and not the rest. Decided it would be better to just finish up all the puppets and when they are all done then it can be a surprise one day. Be just like Christmas all over again.
The morning is getting on and I have to get some chores done, breakfast hasn't even been done yet and I want to shower. Have to get ready to go out and kill that old cow for dog food. I will get to visit ~~am hoping to go to town but that will be in the LORD'S hands so
off to the land of reality I go.

..."Verily I say unto you,
Except ye be converted,
and become as little children,
ye shall not enter the kingdom
of heaven."
Matthew 18:3

With childlike faith and " adult like" respo
nsibilites
I pray all of you have a wonderful day.
Roxanne

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Hi Roxanne :)
Your grandchildren sound so precious. You know what? My dear husband had a grandmother who made toys for all of her grandchildren every Christmas. Those are the toys my husband talks about all the time, never the store bought things he would get. So, those hand made things you do for those babies leave memories that will stay with them for a lifetime.

Have a blessed evening!
Sharon