Thursday, January 28, 2010

Coyote Musical

I was up before five this morning which is not the usual for me as I am usually up at five not before. Have a crook in "me" neck so it is easier to get up than to try to make it comfortable.
The fire in the wood heater is burning cheerfully and the tea is steaming hot in my cup. My cup with the poinsettia on it. I put most of the Christmas cups away but I love this one with its little chip out of the lip of it. I have one cup with a snowman picture on it too that I like to use all winter. Never really decided if that is a Christmas cup or a winter cup so I use it all winter too.
My tea sipping is disturbed by what sounds like a chorus of a hundred coyotes yodeling. They yip and yelp and yowl. Their voices carrying back and forth to each other. One of the dogs starts barking as she flies off the porch to chase them. No my little doggie NO come back here! And believe it or not she di
d come back~~The yipping goes on. The chorus lifts hitting high notes like some well practiced crescendo then dropping only to rise again. Their voices are clear and close. Listening to them I can tell some are here nearby the old house we live in and some are over on the other side of the river. Singing of the mice they are catching under the snow or the cats they would like to catch from the house here I am not sure. Maybe singing in the hopes of drawing the "in season" dogs out of their safety out to where they can tear them to pieces!The dogs try to out sing the coyotes. The yelping melody starts to move on down the river taking with it the song of the ones by the house. It disappears and the morning darkness becomes still with only the sound of horses crunching on the frozen surface of old crusted snow.

O come,
let us sing unto the LORD:
let us make a joyful noise to
the rock of our salvation.
Let us come before his
presence with thanksgiving,
and make a joyful noise unto
him with psalms.
Psalm 95:1

Rejoicing in the LORD
Roxanne

2 comments:

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

We have a creek that runs behind our house as well as a forest that is home to quite a few coyotes. There is an open field between my house and the forest that the coyotes sometime venture out into and we hear their "yodeling" and howling quite often. . . such an eerie sound. Stay warm and have a nice weekend.

Blessings,
Elizabeth

Linda said...

I love that sound. I used to go outside and sit on the deck with my tea and just listen. It's almost like music but gives you shivers down your back.

The first time I heard a cougar scream I wanted to run back to the big city! haha